[x3d-public] Member-only: X3D to Unity, Unreal, Blender, glTF

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 16:50:09 PDT 2022

I’ve posted on this before.

Instead of writing importers/loaders, I have a suggestion that we “compile”
X3D user code to a variety of back ends, Unity, Unreal, Blender, glTF,
three.js, PlayCanvas, Babylon.js etc.

Obviously we need some kind of Abstract Syntax Tree (AST) or Intermediate
Representation (IR).  I suggest we use subclasses of X3DJSAIL and/or x3d.py
classes.

I think Don would suggest using X3DJSONLD or XSLT as a basis.   Note that
X3DJSONLD uses DOM or Python dict as IR.  I would prefer a typesafe IR.

Thoughts are welcome!   What’s a good, accomplishable approach?

Thanks,