[x3d-public] X3D minutes 15 APR 2022: Web3D 2022 CFP, issue resolution, EnvironmentLight, PointProperties markerType, NURBS figures/examples

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Fri Apr 15 09:42:03 PDT 2022

Attendees: Anita Havele, Nicholas Polys, Dick Puk, Doug Sanden, Don
Brutzman.

Teleconference information:

*
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81634670698?pwd=a1VPeU5tN01rc21Oa3hScUlHK0Rxdz09
*	https://zoom.us/j/148206572  Password 483805
*	https://www.web3d.org/member/teleconference-information

1.	Web3D 2022 Call for Papers

*	https://www.web3d.org/news-story/web3d-2022-call-papers

Distributed widely - get writing!!

2.	ISO, INCITS H3 and W3C liaison: weekly issues check.

Not reviewed this week.

3.	Dick and I had a big week, resolving over 40 Mantis issues.  We plan
to try finishing these too:

a.	Hoping for last call, is EnvironmentLight done?

Mantis 1336,  17.4.2 EnvironmentLight - Khronos glTF extension for image
based lighting

https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view.php?id=1336

Michalis thanks for message earlier on this.  Implementers, please check it
out and respond.

I think that we should proceed with EnvironmentLight and fully match glTF2
in X3D4.

b.	PointProperties markerType field OK without potential interference
to possible X3D4.1 future addition of splat/glyph geometry?

Mantis 12.4.7 PointProperties missing markerType field

https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view.php?id=1393

Can we proceed with markerType, given that splat/glyph must be deferred?
Doug notes that as long as the default is nothing, maintaining backwards
compatibility, we can likely proceed.  Option:

*	Current default 1 is "Dot" (but we don't want to force compliance to
that, misinterpretation breaks backwards compatibility)
*	Add potential value 0 to indicate "No markerType pattern applied"
(i.e. other fields pertain, no browser defaults apply).  Likely a browser
would treat 0 and 1 equivalently.  Is less confusing prose possible? "Off"
or "Turned off" or "Ignored"
*	Change default from 1 to 0?  TBD.  We must "do no harm" for
backwards compatibility.

Other spec modifications:

*	Need to change "line" to "point" in first paragraph of 12.4.7
*	Change "sprite" to "point" in last paragraph
*	New Mantis issue needed describing plans for splat/glyph in X3D4.1.
*	Future X3D4.1 work also needs to reconcile compatibly with
ParticleSet, unified approach will be desirable.

Our expectation is that textures (DO / DO NOT) apply to current rendering
rules for points and lines?  Not fully clear as we discussed, we couldn't
locate relevant specification prose during the call.  There are certainly
some use cases, for example lines above terrain textures.

Need to discuss issue with  Michalis and closely inspect specification
prose.

Consensus not yet reached but we are close, will work on this further.  Goal
is to finish in 2 weeks.

c.	Can we accept this predictability improvement instead of current
"behavior undefined" ?

(Default Switch response to ignore binding, default LOD level-of-detail
response to honor binding)

07.2.2 Bindable children nodes - Undefined results if bindable node is under
Switch or LOD is problematic

https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view.php?id=1192

Deferred to next meeting in order to establish consensus. Goal is to finish
in 2 weeks.

I believe that describing repeatable norms for Inline behaviors within these
two important cases (Switch and LOD) is part of demonstrating coherent,
predicable X3D scalability for large-scale virtual environments and
Metaverse.

d.	Doug Sanden's contributions for improving Nurbs figures through
implemented examples - woo hoo!!

http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2022-April/017146.html

Doug walked us through his links to The Nurbs Book by Piegl and Tiller, a
superb reference.  Really great to see that the specification examples are
so well documented there.

*	https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/880733.The_Nurbs_Book

X3D4 Architecture, NURBS Component, 27.4.10 NurbsSweptSurface and 27.4.11
NurbsSwungSurface

https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3Dv4Draft/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-CD1/Part01/
components/nurbs.html#NurbsSweptSurface

https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3Dv4Draft/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-CD1/Part01/
components/nurbs.html#NurbsSwungSurface

https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view.php?id=514

https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view.php?id=515

https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view.php?id=1388

https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view.php?id=1389

Doug has provided updates for Figure 27.3 - NurbsSweptSurface and Figure
27.4 - NurbsSwungSurface

*
http://dug9.users.sourceforge.net/web3d/tests/NURBS/specs/swept2_translate.p
ng
*	http://dug9.users.sourceforge.net/web3d/tests/NURBS/specs/swung2.png

Don will add these excellent examples to

*	X3D Basic Examples, NURBS
*	https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/NURBS

or probably better:

*	X3D Basic Examples, X3D Specifications
*	https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/X3dSpecifications

4.	No member-only information is found in these minutes.

No X3D Working Group meeting next week.

Have relentless fun with X3D!   8)

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br        brutzman at nps.edu

Watkins 270,  MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA    +1.831.656.2149

X3D graphics, virtual worlds, Navy robotics https://
faculty.nps.edu/brutzman