[x3d-public] ambientIntensity [0, 1] or unbounded [0, infinity) ?

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 03:48:16 PDT 2022

Hm, good point. To be honest we can go either way for me.

It doesn't matter that much because

A. ambientIntensity is ignored by PBR model (PhysicalMaterial) that
doesn't have a concept of "ambient" at all. (This is stated explicitly
in spec, """In the physical lighting model, the ambientIntensity value
is unused. """)

B. In most practical cases, even with Phong (Material), people should
not use too large ambientIntensity values. The ambient and
ambientIntensity in Phong are already somewhat "unrealistic cheat"
(that is, you just bump the final color to simulate global
illumination; that's as naive implementation of "global illumination"
as you can get :) ).

So likely authors don't need to use values for ambientIntensity > 1.
But then, there's nothing in Phong lighting equations that really
prevents bigger ambientIntensity values.

So, ways to go:

1. Ignore, i.e. leave ambientIntensity in [0,1]. Just because there's
no practical reason to change it.

2. Or make ambientIntensity unbounded like intensity, i.e. allow [0,infinity].

For me, the only real advantage of AD 2 solution is that it will make
ambientintensity consistent with intensity. But that's not a big gain
-- ultimately ambientIntensity and intensity are just completely
different concepts, they just happen to share a common name. The
"intensity" has a physical interpretation (that we put in spec) and
works with all lighting models. "ambientIntensity" is a "cheat' and
only available in Phong lighting model.

So I would choose solution AD 1 (do nothing) just because there's no
real need (from authors' perspective) to remove the limit, from what I
know. But both AD 1 and AD 2 resolutions are acceptable for me.

Regards,
Michalis

pt., 29 kwi 2022 o 02:53 Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV)