[x3d-public] X3D minutes 28 APR 2022: 3DBODY.TECH, Smart Cities, four Mantis issues reviewed, endgame for X3D4

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Fri Apr 29 17:45:02 PDT 2022

Attendees:  Anita Havele, Nicholas Polys, Don Brutzman. Regrets: Dick Puk.
We worked together for 2 hours today, minutes follow.

1.	Web3D 2022 Call for Papers

*	https://www.web3d.org/news-story/web3d-2022-call-papers

2.	We discussed upcoming conference this fall.

*	13th 3DBODY.TECH Conference & Expo
*	https://www.3dbody.tech
*	The Premier Multidisciplinary International Conference and
Exhibition on 3D Human Body Scanning and Processing Technologies
*	3DBODY.TECH Conference & Expo provides a platform of eminent
professionals, entrepreneurs, academicians and researchers across the globe
to present, learn and discuss the latest in 3D human body scanning and
processing technologies. The multidisciplinary character of 3DBODY.TECH
makes it unique and not comparable to any other meeting related to 3D body
technologies.

Of interest is that this immediately precedes Web3D Conference.

3.	ISO, INCITS H3 and W3C liaison: weekly issues check.

Interesting draft work is proceeding on Guidelines for Representation and
Visualization of Smart Cities.

We are engaged in this effort and encouraging use of structured data and X3D
visualization across several dozen ISO standards, motivated so that Smart
Cities might have a coherent basis for information presentation and
interaction.  Much lead-in work was performed at workshops and in papers at
the past two Web3D Conferences.

Abstract. "Developers and users of any smart city will need tools to
evaluate and examine options and trade-offs, and predict outcomes. Parts or
all of a smart city would need to be modelled, and smart city functions need
to be simulated to evaluate possible results. The modelling and simulation
of smart city functions relies on representation and visualization of the
data. Representation and visualization of smart cities will enable
prototyping, demonstration, and analysis of smart city concepts for further
development. Both physical/geometric and semantic data will need to be
represented and visualized."

"Representation and visualization of smart cities is a prime application for
an integrated approach to leverage standardization since no single standard
will address all requirements. This document provides guidelines as to what
needs to be represented for smart cities and how this can be achieved. This
technical specification will define categories of data associated with smart
cities, and the requirements for their representation and visualization. It
will describe how ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 24 standards including SEDRIS and X3D can
be applied to represent and visualize urban infrastructure, services, and
features. Use cases are presented that explore how these standards could be
applied in smart city analysis and visualization applications."

Web3D Consortium members can request a copy of this document and comment, if
they like.  We will be voting prior to May 11.

Web3D membership has value!  Please join, if you haven't already.

*	https://www.web3d.org/join

4.	Dick and I had a big 2-week review, resolving or improving over 60
Mantis issues.   Change list for 19-28 April is attached.

*	Web3D Mantis Issue List
*	https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view_all_bug_page.php

Several issues have been pushed to the list requesting comment.  About 50
additional issues remain. the finish line is almost visible!

During the call, we will work towards achieving consensus on a handful of
lingering discussion issues.  All inputs are welcome.

*	X3D4 Architecture, latest
*
https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3Dv4Draft/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-CD1/Part01/
Architecture.html

a.	We reviewed Michalis Kamburelis message

*	[x3d-public] ambientIntensity [0, 1] or unbounded [0, infinity) ?
*
http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2022-April/017278.html

regarding

*	Mantis 130: 17.2.2: Lighting Max Values
*	https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view.php?id=130

We agreed on rationale for his first proposed solution:
"1. Ignore, i.e. leave ambientIntensity in [0,1]. Just because

    there's no practical reason to change it."

Thanks for another great response Michalis.

b.	We worked to ensure that authors rendering points, lines or
UnlitMaterial geometry include emissive values.

*	1347: UnlitMaterial emissiveColor has incorrect default value? no,
must remain 1 1 1, modify X3DOneSidedMaterialNode
*	https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view.php?id=1347

Confirmed reasonableness of removing emissiveColor from
X3DOneSidedMaterialNode so that no overrides are necessary for differing
default values.  This is a common X3D design practice.

Some wording improvements for clarity:

*	12.3.4 X3DOneSidedMaterialNode
*
https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3Dv4Draft/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-CD1/Part01/
components/shape.html#X3DOneSidedMaterialNode
*	The emissiveColor field is defined in implementing nodes (albeit
with differing default values). The emissiveColor and emissiveTexture fields
enable an author to model "glowing" objects. This can be useful for
displaying unlit (pre-lit) models (where the light energy of the room is
computed explicitly), or for displaying scientific data. Application of
emissive color values has an essential role when rendering points
(PointSet), lines (LineSet and IndexedLineSet), and geometry rendered with
unlit materials. To display an "unlit" object (whose visible color should
not be modified by any light in the scene), an author can use an
UnlitMaterial node.
*	The emissiveTexture RGB channel is multiplied with the emissiveColor
to yield the emissiveParameter in the lighting equations. Further
information is provided in 11.2.2.5 Points and lines rendering.

Also included improvements to

*	X3D4 Architecture, 11.2.2.5 Points and lines rendering
*
https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3Dv4Draft/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-CD1/Part01/
components/rendering.html#PointsLinesRendering
*	Emissive colors are primary means of rendering these nodes. The
emissiveColor and fields typically control these "glowing" effects. Failure
to include emissive colors may result in these geometry nodes not being
rendered.

c.	We discussed inclusion of markerType providing symbology for point
displays, deciding against.

*	Mantis 1393: 12.4.7 PointProperties missing markerType field
*	https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view.php?id=1393

Nicholas thinks that old markerType values are pretty ancient and not
useful, further that browser builders are unlikely to implement them.
Modelers want their own icon/glyph/splat for visualization and interaction.

Of further note is that markerType values do not have any existing
implementations, not meeting our "2 implementations" requirement. There is a
risk of it being counterproductive and distracting efforts in this
direction.

Downside to removal is small: if markerType not added, then no such
mechanism exists until X3D4.1 (when it is likely to get resolved fully).
Meanwhile experimentation is welcome, the "X" in X3D is Extensible.

Dick please confirm: we are removing.

Nicholas please get 1-2 Mantis issues added describing how to proceed, there
may be one partial issue on glyphs already.

d.	We worked further on improvements to Switch and LOD when a
descendant node is bound.  Currently such behavior is undefined.

*	Mantis 1192: 07.2.2 Bindable children nodes - Undefined results if
bindable node is under Switch or LOD is problematic
*	https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view.php?id=1192

Analysis during X3D Working Group call:

a. Switch would keep each binding stack aligned with whichever child was
active, thereby binding and unbinding nodes whenever the Switch level is
modified.

b. LOD would have all of its child bindable nodes on the binding stack
throughout, so that user experience was consistent. For example, it would
make no sense for Viewpoints to get arbitrarily unbound and bound, based on
range to viewer, as a user independently navigated through a scene.

c. LOD attempting to maintain author intent has access to all Viewpoint
nodes on binding stack, and range-to-viewer LOD transitions are either
flexible suggestions (browser-optimization control) or rigidly enforced
(forceTransitions field is TRUE). Thus if a node is subsequently bound by
user in a different inactive LOD child branch, then that binding event is
honored and that LOD child branch becomes the active child branch. This
binding event (and changed LOD child branch selection) takes precedence over
browser range/performance considerations, and also takes precedence over
whatever value is provided in forceTransitions field. (Example: selecting a
room Viewpoint while in a large building model).

d. NavigationInfo, Background and Fog binding stacks and responses to
binding events should behave identically to Viewpoint. Variations would be
exceedingly complex and not understandable. Consistency means that author
intent and user action always take precedence, for Switch and LOD response.

Spec editors work on integrating these principles as specification prose (we
are close already) and report back recommended changes to X3D working group.

IMO this will significantly help user-sensible scalability of huge (perhaps
Metaverse-scale) models using many Inline and prototype nodes, enabling
predictable and performant navigation and traversal throughout.

5.	Endgame plan for X3D4 Architecture specification.:

a.	The next few weeks are good for final member + public review.
b.	We will continue resolving editorial Mantis issues, deliberately at
best speed.
c.	Unfinished/undemonstrated functional issues are marked as X3D4.1 for
future work.
d.	We expect to submit Draft International Specification (DIS) during
last half of May, around 2-3 weeks from now.

Vince, please confirm this plan aligns with our Consortium bylaws and
practices documents. Thanks in advance for making sure we don't overlook any
steps.

Anita please supervise any formal ascertainment by Board and Membership, as
needed.

Thanks for all contributions and all progress, getting Extensible 3D (X3D)
Graphics version 4 finally ready to ship.

Have fun with X3D!   8)

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br        brutzman at nps.edu
<mailto:brutzman at nps.edu>

Watkins 270,  MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA    +1.831.656.2149

X3D graphics, virtual worlds, Navy robotics https://
faculty.nps.edu/brutzman