[x3d-public] X3D notes 26 AUG 2022: Twitter updates, Castle Game Engine progress, ISO annual meeting

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Fri Aug 26 06:29:41 PDT 2022

No X3D Working Group meeting this week.  Some of these points are based on
discussions this past week with Anita Havele, Vince Marchetti, Nicholas
Polys, and Dick Puk.

1.	Twitter. Our @Web3DConsortium page remains a steady source of
interesting information relative to X3D Graphics development.  Announcements
regarding implementation/evaluation of open standards, especially #X3D and
#HAnim, and are always welcome.

*	Twitter, Web3D Consortium
*	https://twitter.com/Web3DConsortium

2.	Castle Game Engine. Michalis Kamburelis development of Castle Game
Engine @castleengine continues intense progress.  Here are 10 posts from the
past month.  Go Michalis Go!

Cross-platform (desktop, mobile, console) 3D and 2D game engine. Powerful
visual editor. Support for glTF, X3D, Spine and more. Fast clean code using
modern Pascal. Free and open-source.

a.	New components to generate terrains, along with a demo including
water and planting trees

https://castle-engine.io/wp/2022/08/21/new-components-to-generate-terrains-a
long-with-a-demo-including-water-and-planting-trees

b.	KTX - mipmaps, ASTC, Docker - GitHub CLI, Compressonator, macOS
fixes, node renames API, TCastlePlane.Size
https://castle-engine.io/wp/2022/08/12/ktx-mipmaps-astc-docker-github-cli-co
mpressonator-macos-fixes-node-renames-api-tcastleplane-size
c.	Drag and drop in the editor improvements

https://castle-engine.io/wp/2022/08/07/drag-and-drop-in-the-editor-improveme
nts

d.	Bump mapping - updated documentation, example, defaults, everything
is simpler now :)

https://twitter.com/castleengine/status/1555585743086665728

e.	Using normalmaps with Blender and Castle Game Engine

https://castle-engine.io/wp/2022/08/02/using-normalmaps-with-blender-and-cas
tle-game-engine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dA8IT8C_Js

f.	Teaser: Physics hinge joint using Castle Game Engine
g.	Andrzej Kilijański is working on joints in our physics in Castle
Game Engine. This is a short video from our today's session, constructing a
quick 3D demo scene for hinges :)

https://twitter.com/castleengine/status/1554184668324499457

h.	Improvements around viewport projection, MainScene deprecated

https://castle-engine.io/wp/2022/07/31/improvements-around-viewport-projecti
on-mainscene-deprecated

i.	Fog component to easily design fog using editor or code

https://castle-engine.io/wp/2022/07/30/fog-component-to-easily-design-fog-us
ing-editor-or-code

j.	Video: Viewports, cameras and navigation in Castle Game Engine

https://twitter.com/castleengine/status/1550527400995196928

3.	International Standards Organization (ISO).  Dick Puk and Don
Brutzman represented Web3D Consortium, HAnim and X3D efforts at a successful
annual meeting of our standardization committee ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 24.  This
important group is led by Dr. Myeong Won Lee, a long-time contributor to
applied research in these areas.  The meetings themselves were spread
around-the-clock over a 4-week period, effectively equivalent to a 1-week
in-person meeting.  Once again this was a successful annual milestone,
confirming both completed efforts and projected plans.

Web3D Consortium has held a Class A Liaison status with ISO since the
original release of the VRML97 international Standard (originally as VRML
Architecture Group and then VRML Consortium).  Web3D Consortium is also a
member of the U.S. National Standards Body, INCITS committee H3 for Graphics
and Imaging.  Our annual liaison report is attached.

a.	Web3D Consortium Liaison Report, ISO/IEC Standards Committee SC24
Annual Meeting

https://www.web3d.org/specifications/documentation/Web3DConsortiumLiaisonRep
ort2022August2.reduced.pdf

b.	ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 24: Computer graphics, image processing and
environmental data representation

https://www.iso.org/committee/45252.html

c.	InterNational Committee for Information Technology Standards
(INCITS) Graphics and Imaging

https://www.incits.org/committees/h3

https://twitter.com/INCITS

d.	INCITS Cheat Sheet: Standards 101

https://www.incits.org/standards-information/standards-101

4.	Next meeting.  Our next X3D Working Group weekly meeting is Friday 2
September 2022, 09-1000 pacific.  Participation welcome.  Topics include
SIGGRAPH 2022 briefings and next steps for ongoing document improvements for
X3D standards.

*
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81634670698?pwd=a1VPeU5tN01rc21Oa3hScUlHK0Rxdz09
*	https://zoom.us/j/148206572  Password 483805
*	https://www.web3d.org/member/teleconference-information

Membership has value!  You are welcome to consider joining Web3D Consortium.

*	Join Web3D: Open Standards for Real-Time 3D Communication
*	https://www.web3d.org

Have fun with X3D!   8)

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br        brutzman at nps.edu
<mailto:brutzman at nps.edu>

Watkins 270,  MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA    +1.831.656.2149

X3D graphics, virtual worlds, Navy robotics https://
faculty.nps.edu/brutzman