[x3d-public] X3D minutes 11 FEB 2022: , X3D4 Particle Systems component review, adding enabled field to X3DParticleEmitterNode ?

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Wed Feb 16 07:04:44 PST 2022

Well, we were not thinking of particle consumers.  Perhaps you might run a recording of one in reverse.

Dick and I reviewed the two issues for WindPhysicsModel node again yesterday in Mantis.  We did consider some possibility of allowing negative numbers in gustiness, to encourage creation of whorls and tornadoes, but decided not to. Since previously posted prose allows variation of direction, even if not explicitly permitting or forbidding reversals of wind direction, it seems sufficient for current state of maturity in X3D4.

Looking ahead to X3D4.1, we foresee the possibility of adding details like that.  There are several places where authors might want more control.  We’ve closed one issue and pushed the other to 4.1.  So we are now finished with Particle Systems spec until that fine future day.

*	X3D4 Architecture, Particle Systems component, 40.4.10 WindPhysicsModel
*	https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3Dv4Draft/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-CD1/Part01/components/particleSystems.html#WindPhysicsModel

The gustiness specifies how much the wind speed varies from the average value defined by the speed field. The wind speed variation is calculated once per frame and applied equally to all particles.

The turbulence field specifies how much the wind acts directly in line with the direction, and how much variation is applied in directions other than the wind direction. A turbulence value of 0 means no turbulence, while a turbulence value of 1 means maximum turbulence. This is determined per-particle to model how the particle is affected by turbulence.

If anyone wants to offer particle models for the X3D Examples Archives, that will be welcome.

Enjoy the cool wind in your screen with X3D4!   = 8-)

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br        brutzman at nps.edu

Watkins 270,  MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA    +1.831.656.2149

X3D graphics, virtual worlds, Navy robotics https:// faculty.nps.edu/brutzman