[x3d-public] X3D meeting agenda 18 FEB 2022: SpotLight angles, Volume Rendering component

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 15:50:52 PST 2022

(I'm sorry, resending again with smaller attachments to be accepted by
mailing list - base64 encoding makes attachments 4/3 larger.)

As for the discussed cutOffAngle/beamWidth defaults today. I know we
were supposed to think for a week, but I did some thinking already,
these are my thoughts and screenshots:

1. For cutOffAngle, my thoughts are clear. We should go for
cutOffAngle = pi/4. Because:

   - it is what it was in X3D <= 3.2 (it's practically possibly zero
change for some browsers, possibly zero surprise for some authors).

   - And it matches glTF outerConeAngle.

   - I *do not* think it's a significant problem that real-life spot
lights are usually narrower (and Blender and Unity spot lights are
indeed narrower by default). The effect of cutOffAngle = pi/4 is
clearly visible by authors, they can adjust it.

2. For beamWidth, my thoughts are not clear, i.e. I'm not decided. I
see my options now as:

    Vote 1: beamWidth = pi/2. This is what I originally advised, just
possibly zero work for browsers, zero surprise for authors). It made
the SpotLight clearly visible.

    Vote 2: beamWidth = pi/8. Because I do understand the desire to
express, by default, the situation that we have penumbra, which means
we prefer defaults with beamWidth<cutOffAngle. Having beamWidth =
cutOffAngle/2 = pi/8 seems the most natural number to do this.

    Vote 3: beamWidth = 0. The biggest reason for this would be glTF
compatibility, their innerConeAngle = 0. My biggest concern with it is
that beamWidth = 0 makes the spot light actually hard to notice.

I am not decided between vote 1,2,3 but I think I'm narrowing down my
thoughts to these options.

Here are screenshots. I encourage everyone who participated today to
not just think about these numbers, but actually try them out in
existing X3D browsers on some existing scenes :) My screenshots may
well be biased by a particular scene I used now for testing. Go and
pick your own, and show us screenshots :)

To be clear: I can "live with" any situation when default cutOffAngle
is <= pi/4, and any beamWidth default is chosen. I.e. my "critical"
issue that sparked this discussion was that X3D 3.3/4.0 default
cutOffAngle is too large (pi/2) and it seems today that everyone
agrees it should be something smaller. We only wonder what should the
new defaults be. So I'm fine with almost any proposition we talked
about today :)

Regards,
Michalis

sob., 19 lut 2022 o 00:42 Michalis Kamburelis