[x3d-public] X3D Working Group minutes 7 JAN 2022: welcome back! lots of good things happening

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Fri Jan 7 11:40:52 PST 2022

Attendees: John Carlson, Anita Havele, Vince Marchetti, Nicholas Polys, Dick Puk, Don Brutzman

Warmup activity: thanks to Nicholas for noting that Floops is back online!

  *   Floops: The First Episodic 3D VRML Cartoon.  Authored in 1996, selected episodes online, compatibly displayed using #X3D player #X_ITE.  Ouch!
  *   https://sgeo.github.io/floopsArchive/floops/archive.html
  *   https://twitter.com/Web3DConsortium/status/1479513410777739267
  *   https://sgeo.github.io/floopsArchive/floops/bio.html
  *   https://github.com/sressler/floopsArchive

  1.  How's everyone doing?  Happy New Year everyone!

  1.  Can we return to weekly routine of 08-0900 pacific?  YES

  1.  Web3D Conference 2021 online at ACM Digital Library, free for another week
     *   https://dl.acm.org/conference/web3d (248,147 cumulative downloads)
     *   https://twitter.com/Web3DConsortium/status/1473701829296930826

  1.  Draft Web3D Consortium 2021 Report final review, focus on working groups.  We improved descriptions and next-step goals for each.  Member link:

  *   https://docs.google.com/document/d/1saWKWMXi7alo06BaufRyfbiOWmgGPRAFEOS7u8_1A-Y/edit

  1.  Monthly member presentation planning: we are building a schedule of monthly member sessions showing how they are applying Web3D technologies achievements and progress, plus where they are going next.  These will include a practical emphasis: use cases, activities, products. Members will also be invited to listen for discussion dialog at the end of each session, with videos going online afterwards.  Announcements might even be added to the scrolling highlight images on the top of the Web3D Consortium website. Web3D Consortium membership has value - to everyone!

If you are interested in presenting, please contact Anita to get on the schedule.

  1.  Mantis issues highlight: HAnim Joint fields llimit, ulimit, stiffness to remain MFFloat for backwards compatibility
     *   Mantis 1116: 26.3.3 HAnimJoint - confirm type and defaults for llimit/ulimit/stiffness fields
     *   https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view.php?id=1116

  1.  Website updates needed:
     *   Upcoming Events: add SIGGRAPH 2022.  (Web3D Conference efforts proceeding separately.)
     *   STANDARDS (or other) menu link to X3D4 Architecture?  Whatever works... We modified some prose, there is still some reading required by users but 2 clicks will get you there.
     *   do we need inset box on Standards Quick Links at bottom of home page?  Seems superfluous.

  1.  Projects Wish List update discussion: we will look closely again next week.
     *   Work with MeshLab and Blender seems especially important.
     *   Can we add "how to get involved?" to each major item.
     *   https://www.web3d.org/projects/wish-list

  1.  Twitter: shall we start tweeting x3d-public meeting minutes?  When done, the tweet would simply be a highlight summary of topics along with (at least one) compelling "image of the week" along with single link to the archived x3d-public message.
     *   https://twitter.com/Web3Dconsortium

We'll have a draft to consider next week to announce this week's minutes.

Blast from the past: one of our first Web3D Consortium web pages from @waybackmachine

  *   archived at https://web.archive.org/web/19990125104423/http://www.web3d.org
  *   tweet at https://twitter.com/Web3DConsortium/status/1473722068558561281
  *   image at https://twitter.com/Web3DConsortium/status/1473722068558561281/photo/1

  1.  Additional topics and planning... great discussion today!  The more we do, the more we do... with better communication each time around.

No member-only confidential material is included in these public minutes.

Membership has value, please Join Web3D Consortium.

  *   https://www.web3D.org/join

Videoconference Connectivity:

  *   https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81634670698?pwd=a1VPeU5tN01rc21Oa3hScUlHK0Rxdz09
  *   https://zoom.us/j/148206572  Password 483805
  *   https://www.web3d.org/member/teleconference-information

have fun with X3D!  8)

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br        brutzman at nps.edu<mailto:brutzman at nps.edu>
Watkins 270,  MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA    +1.831.656.2149
X3D graphics, virtual worlds, navy robotics https:// faculty.nps.edu/brutzman