[x3d-public] X3D Working Group agenda 14 January 2022: Jupyter viewing of STEP CAD files, Projects wish list

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Thu Jan 13 09:14:04 PST 2022

We have reverted to our prior meeting time, 0800-0900 Pacific Fridays. Coming up tomorrow:

  1.  Twitter: ready to start tweeting availability of x3d-public meeting minutes. Each tweet would simply be a highlight summary of topics, hopefully with (at least one) compelling "image of the week" along with single link to the archived x3d-public message.
     *   https://twitter.com/Web3Dconsortium

Suggested tweet:

     *   #X3D Working Group minutes 7 January 2022: @Web3D2021 availability @ACMDL, monthly presentation planning, X3D4 Architecture refinements, Floops!
     *   http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2022-January/016444.html

  1.  CAD Design Printing Scanning group: Vince Marchetti showed how any end user can load STEP files and portray using X3DOM, all via a website.
https://mybinder.org/v2/gh/vincentmarchetti/step_jupyter/main

  1.  Projects Wish List update discussion: we will look closely again next week.
     *   Work with MeshLab and Blender seems especially important.
     *   Can we add "how to get involved?" to each major item.
     *   https://www.web3d.org/projects/wish-list

  1.  Website updates needed, brief discussion if helpful:
     *   Upcoming Events: still a hole in the middle of our website.  Need to add SIGGRAPH 2022.  (We are still looking for Web3D 2022 Conference host.)
     *   X3D4 still not listed under Recommended Standards page https://www.web3d.org/standards
     *   STANDARDS (or other) menu link to X3D4 Architecture?  Current approach still seems clumsy - is it satisfactory? We modified some prose on home page, there is still some reading required by users but 2 clicks will get you there.
     *   Do we need inset box on Standards Quick Links at bottom of home page?  Seems superfluous.

  1.  Other topics of group interest... are always welcome

Membership has value! Please consider joining Web3D Consortium.

  *   https://www.web3D.org/join

Videoconference Connectivity:

  *   https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81634670698?pwd=a1VPeU5tN01rc21Oa3hScUlHK0Rxdz09
  *   https://zoom.us/j/148206572  Password 483805
  *   https://www.web3d.org/member/teleconference-information

Have fun with X3D!

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br        brutzman at nps.edu
Watkins 270,  MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA    +1.831.656.2149
X3D graphics, virtual worlds, Navy robotics https:// faculty.nps.edu/brutzman