[x3d-public] 2022 X3D Working Group goals and X3D Graphics Standards Relationships diagram, no meeting 8 July 2022

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Thu Jul 7 18:16:38 PDT 2022

1.	Apologies but no X3D Working Group meeting this week.

2.	For review and comment:  here is our proposed emphasis for second
half of 2022 along with updated X3D Graphics Standards Relationships
diagram.  Comments, questions and improvements are always welcome.

The primary activity of the X3D Working Group in 2022 is the continuing
preparation, submission and implementation of numerous X3D4 specifications
to the International Standards Organization (ISO).  We predict sustained
steady progress on all X3D4 and Humanoid Animation (HAnim) capabilities.  A
consistently designed X3D4 architecture enables modeling and interactive
visualization using ClassicVRML, XML, HTML5, glTF, Web Audio, JavaScript,
JSON, Java, Python, C, C++, C#, Efficient XML Interchange (EXI) compression,
and X3D Ontology for Semantic Web.  Rigorous levels of validation and scene
diagnostics enable creation of an excellent User Experience (UX) with
exceptional quality assurance (QA) for all X3D models.

*	X3D Standards Relationships
*
https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dGraphicsStandardsRelationships.png

3.	Dick Puk and I will be attending the annual ISO/IEC JTC-1 SC24
standards meeting, representing all of our standards-based efforts and
plans.  Again virtual this year due to COVID limitations, the meeting is a
series of video teleconferences with other national body representatives and
Standards Development Organizations (SDOs).

4.	A lot is interest is percolating with Metaverse Standards Forum.
Web3D Consortium is a founding member, one of about a dozen SDOs.  They have
had huge initial membership applications, perhaps a thousand companies so
far. This is an excellent opportunity for ongoing influence and impact by
Web3D Consortium and X3D graphics standard!

*	"The Metaverse Standards Forum provides a unique opportunity to
achieve secure, collaborative (interoperable), durable, and pervasive
Mixed-Reality content," said Nicholas Polys Ph.D., president of the Web3D
Consortium.
*	https://twitter.com/Web3DConsortium/status/1539412412377333761

*	Metaverse Standards Forum
*	https://metaverse-standards.org

5.	Recommend everyone consider joining the Web3D Consortium!  Once
again, clearly, membership has value.

Membership provides real benefits for 3D graphics communication, networking,
leadership, marketing, and specification development.   The Web3D Consortium
is committed to the creation and deployment of open, royalty-free standards
that enable the communication of real-time 3D across applications, networks,
and XML web services.

*	Join the Web3D Consortium
*	https://www.web3d.org/join

*	About the Consortium
*	Founded in 1997, we are an International, non-profit, member-funded,
industry standards development organization. We develop and maintain
royalty-free ISO standards for web-based 3D graphics. Our standard   X3D
(Extensible 3D) originated from VRML and is available in XML, Compressed
Binary, and classic VRML formats. X3D is open, royalty free, extensible,
interoperable, and runs on all platforms including desktops, tablets, and
phones. Our members are from business, academia, government and individual
professionals.

Have fun with X3D!   8)

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br        brutzman at nps.edu

Watkins 270,  MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA    +1.831.656.2149

X3D graphics, virtual worlds, Navy robotics https://
faculty.nps.edu/brutzman