[x3d-public] Wishlist for view3dscene

Joseph D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 12 13:03:03 PST 2023

➢  The right solution is storing per-vertex data in a binary
blob, when each float is binary 4 bytes, so it's

- efficient storage
- efficient reading by X3D implementation to a "float[] array", no
need for text parsing.

➢ No need for text parsing.

There is always a need for text parsing when authortime is text.

Of course that and other stuffs is right for the runtime ----- but not for the authortime. Yes, even though the authortime might intrude into the runtime, there is a time when the authorinter acts directly with the code and tool implementers should do all they can to make it easy for the author (code generator).
And, sorry about the all this text parsing needing to be done as an apparent dissatisfier, but x3d is primarily a text format for people not necessarily directly for machines. Sure there are several other ways to encode x3d, but text is the main and only real spec way since somebody else specs the blobs and we just want to author and deliver using them. I hope your browser will allow me to import runtime forms that I can also edit at authortime. Hopefully there are some special defined blobs that I can import and edit in x3d user code and then export runtime blobs of this type for delivery.

I guess still my prime example is the difference between how skeleton animation joint to vertex bindings and weights are done in X3D Joint versus typical runtime storage, like you seem to cite above. We don’t care about the idea that under-the-covers is so much easier for the implementer, and so ‘efficient storage’ is directive and it really doesn’t, or we can’t see how it could, impact the actual content creator.
Thanks,
Joe