[x3d-public] 3D Working Group agenda 23 FEB 2023: progress reports, proposed Metaverse group, glTF extensions, X3D 4.1 feature discussion

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 10:26:44 PST 2023

KHR_lights_environment is at this point a proposal:

https://github.com/KhronosGroup/glTF/pull/1956

Not sure what the relation is to EXT_lights_image_based :

https://github.com/KhronosGroup/glTF/tree/main/extensions/2.0/Vendor/EXT_lights_image_based

-Andreas

On Fri, Feb 24, 2023 at 1:16 PM Michalis Kamburelis
<michalis.kambi at gmail.com> wrote:

> From others:
>
> 1. Blender: they support a number of extensions at import and export:
> https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/addons/import_export/scene_gltf2.html#extensions
>
> 2. CGE supports ( https://castle-engine.io/gltf ):
>
> - KHR_materials_unlit - unlit materials. This translates nicely to
> X3D4 UnlitMaterial.
>
> - KHR_lights_punctual - define lights (point, spot, directional)
> within glTF file. These translate nicely to X3D lights (with unbounded
> intensity in X3D4).
>
> - KHR_texture_transform - transform (scale, offset, rotate) texture
> coordinates. These translate to X3D texture coordinate transformation
> nodes.
>
> - KHR_materials_pbrSpecularGlossiness - support for alternative
> specification of material parameters using specular-glossiness. Only
> partial support — without textures. Extension considered deprecated by
> Khronos in favor of KHR_materials_specular.
>
> My most important plans:
>
> - X3D nodes for binary meshes (I know X3DOM has this already) and then
> KHR_draco_mesh_compression
>
> - EnvironmentLight in X3D4, consistent with EXT_lights_image_based ,
> KHR_lights_environment .
>
> 3. Everyone: As you see, there is a big overlap between all these
> extension lists (X3DOM, Blender, CGE) and that's good :)
>
> Some glTF extensions are quite popular and in practice supported by
> all/most glTF viewers.
>
> Regards,
> Michalis
>
> pt., 24 lut 2023 o 17:56 Andreas Plesch <andreasplesch at gmail.com> napisał(a):
> >
> > On glTF extension below:

> > > 4.      glTF Extensions.
> > >
> > > Recent email threads have pointed out that X3D 4.0 normatively references
> > > glTF 2.0.  Meanwhile numerous glTF extensions are available.  Nothing
> > > prohibits X3D browsers/players/tools from going beyond baseline glTF 2.0 -
> > > the "X" in X3D is Extensible.  8)
> > >
> > > There is benefit to software developers, content authors and end users to
> > > having a shared strategy on what new features to support.  Considering and
> > > supporting such a list is further suitable as a Web3D Recommendation as a
> > > stepping stone towards future pursuit of X3D 4.1 with International
> > > Standards Organization (ISO).
> >

> > > Here are a few glTF extensions that have been proposed.  Let's discuss which
> > > have high value and deserve consideration as part of a shared strategy.
> > >

> > > *       EnvironmentLight
> > > *       emissiveColor bloom
> > > *       Draco geometry compression
> > > *       Human animation
> > > *       Others?
> > >

> > x3dom supports a few extensions:
> >
> > "KHR_materials_pbrSpecularGlossiness", (now deprecated and replaced by
> > KHR_materials_specular)
> > "KHR_materials_unlit",
> > "KHR_texture_transform"
> >
> > Soon it will also support Draco decompression.
> >
> > KHR prefixed extensions are sanctioned by Khronos.
> >
> > Here is a complete list:

> [...]

Andreas Plesch
Waltham, MA 02453