[x3d-public] 3D Working Group agenda 23 FEB 2023: progress reports, proposed Metaverse group, glTF extensions, X3D 4.1 feature discussion

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 10:43:17 PST 2023

Hi Holger, Michalis,

The glTF lights map pretty well to the X3D lights. But there are some
differences in terms of attenuation and umbra and perhaps other
details, I believe. Could you point me to how you deal with these
minor differences before I start to perhaps implement ?

Thanks, Andreas

On Fri, Feb 24, 2023 at 1:32 PM Holger Seelig <holger.seelig at yahoo.de> wrote:

> X_ITE supports the following extensions:
>
> - KHR_materials_unlit implemented with PhysicalMaterial because of gamma correction.
>
> - KHR_materials_emissive_strength - implemented by adding emissiveStrength field to X3DOneSidedMaterialNode.
>
> - KHR_lights_punctual - mapped to Point/Spot/DirectonalLight
>
> - KHR_texture_transform - mapped to X3D TextureTransform
>
> - KHR_materials_pbrSpecularGlossiness - not really supported, without a SpecularGlossinessMaterial node there will be no real support, but PhysicalMaterial is more straightforward.
>
> Best regards,
> Holger
>

> Am 24.02.2023 um 19:15 schrieb Michalis Kamburelis <michalis.kambi at gmail.com>:
>
> From others:
>
> 1. Blender: they support a number of extensions at import and export:
> https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/addons/import_export/scene_gltf2.html#extensions
>
> 2. CGE supports ( https://castle-engine.io/gltf ):
>
> - KHR_materials_unlit - unlit materials. This translates nicely to
> X3D4 UnlitMaterial.
>
> - KHR_lights_punctual - define lights (point, spot, directional)
> within glTF file. These translate nicely to X3D lights (with unbounded
> intensity in X3D4).
>
> - KHR_texture_transform - transform (scale, offset, rotate) texture
> coordinates. These translate to X3D texture coordinate transformation
> nodes.
>
> - KHR_materials_pbrSpecularGlossiness - support for alternative
> specification of material parameters using specular-glossiness. Only
> partial support — without textures. Extension considered deprecated by
> Khronos in favor of KHR_materials_specular.
>
> My most important plans:
>
> - X3D nodes for binary meshes (I know X3DOM has this already) and then
> KHR_draco_mesh_compression
>
> - EnvironmentLight in X3D4, consistent with EXT_lights_image_based ,
> KHR_lights_environment .
>
> 3. Everyone: As you see, there is a big overlap between all these
> extension lists (X3DOM, Blender, CGE) and that's good :)
>
> Some glTF extensions are quite popular and in practice supported by
> all/most glTF viewers.
>
> Regards,
> Michalis
>
> pt., 24 lut 2023 o 17:56 Andreas Plesch <andreasplesch at gmail.com> napisał(a):
>

> On glTF extension below:

> 4.      glTF Extensions.
>
> Recent email threads have pointed out that X3D 4.0 normatively references
> glTF 2.0.  Meanwhile numerous glTF extensions are available.  Nothing
> prohibits X3D browsers/players/tools from going beyond baseline glTF 2.0 -
> the "X" in X3D is Extensible.  8)
>
> There is benefit to software developers, content authors and end users to
> having a shared strategy on what new features to support.  Considering and
> supporting such a list is further suitable as a Web3D Recommendation as a
> stepping stone towards future pursuit of X3D 4.1 with International
> Standards Organization (ISO).

> [...]

Andreas Plesch
Waltham, MA 02453