[x3d-public] X3D minutes 15 MAR 2019: advanced humanoids discussion; X3Dv4 specification editing

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Fri Mar 15 10:16:27 PDT 2019

0. *Attendance* Chris Lane, Andrew Aubrey, Colin Dupee (all 3DMD), Vince Marchetti, Nicholas Polys, Dick Puk, Joe Williams, Don Brutzman.  Regrets: Anita Havele.

Plenty to review today, ensuring that our progress continues to be clearly recorded and communicated.

All information in this set of meeting minutes is releasable publicly, no separate member-only minutes this week.

----

Web3D Consortium members and invited experts are welcome.  We are an open organization.

We meet today, as usual, 0800-0930 pacific.  To join the teleconference:
	Web3D Teleconference
	http://www.web3d.org/member/teleconference-information

The X3D Graphics Working Group addresses all X3D specification issues and coordinates the technical development of future improvements.
	http://www.web3d.org/working-groups/x3d

Each week we report out both public and member-only information - membership has value.  To become a Web3D Consortium member:
	Join the Web3D Consortium
	http://www.web3d.org/join

==================================

1. *Last week's minutes*

	X3D meeting minutes 8 MAR 2019: X3Dv4 progress planning, timeline
	http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2019-March/010257.html

Today's agenda:
	X3D meeting agenda 15 MAR 2019: X3Dv4 specification editing (this message)
	http://web3d.org/mailman/private/x3d_web3d.org/2019-March/007485.html

Agenda review: (parachuting in!) is 3DMD team with many important requirements, with requests for multiple major developments.

==================================

2. *3DMD Requirements for Advanced Human Body-Movement Tracking, Recording, Visualization, Analysis*

Numerous challenges and concepts.  Subset:
- succession line for OBJ of human form, legacy outmoded form for human data,
- recap of prior and related work, e.g. DICOM paper and numerous examples,
- need for advance work: 8K texture,
- need for advance work: optical-flow tracking of pixels in 3D, etc. etc.
- time synchronization of video, 3d playback, image-synthesis optical flow analysis, annotations,
- data compression, digital signature (authentication), encryption (privacy),
- different industries with different uses of same datasets,
- etc. etc.

Description + discussion provided a broad + deep challenge space.

Chris will send a overall summary to add to the minutes.  I request that each of the discussion contributors also jot down their thoughts and post them, at first here.

There are many overlapping facets to the discussed challenges.  It is important to understand them well to choreograph a composed solution.  Interestingly, many knowledge assets already in hand might be applied coherently to achieve these necessary levels of capability.

On 3/15/2019 9:04 AM, vmarchetti at kshell.com wrote:
> A summary of one question I asked during the conversation with 3DMD participants:
>
> One part of the issue that came up was the problem of using external files that, for security reasons, must be stored in an encrypted form. That is, the X3D file will be encrypted, and any textures or Inlines that are loaded into the X3D scene graph must be encrypted, and encrypted independently of the X3D file.
>
> Propose: Can this be addressed as an extension to the X3D standard, allowing any case where an SFURL or MFURL is used to retrieve an external data source, it is accompanied by the additional information required to decrypt; at least to the extent of specifying the encryption/decryption protocols (whether actual keys are stored in an X3D file is a critical security issue to be determined).

Scope of public and Web3D member-only information?
- Many parts are critical challenge deserves broad consideration,
- Too much public "chefs in the kitchen" might slow necessary progress,
- Web3D Consortium Membership has value, and all privacy mechanisms are in place;
- In general: information will be treated as public, unless otherwise identified as private.

* Humanoid Animation (HAnim) Working Group, possibly a renewed focus?
- With HAnim 2.0 formal release forthcoming, there is an opportunity for such considerations.
- Opinions of Myeong Won Lee and William Glascoe (cochairs) will be essential.

* Medical Working Group coordination?
- Yes overlap, but big agenda is progressing there already.
- No conflicts seen, future collaboration/cooperation expected.

* X3D Working Group responsibilities: compression/encryption/signature, coordination and overall composition.

Thank you Chris, Andrew and Colin for clearly communicating such worthy challenges.  We look forward to continuing work together.

----

For next steps:

a. X3D Working Group is current forum.  Aggressive response could land this in X3Dv4:
- initial outline provided for Working Draft release at Web3D 2019 conference,
- delivery of capabilities by December 2019 for Web3D Consortium release,
- constructive forcing function: 15 minutes available at each week during weekly X3D meeting.

b. Describe all the requirements, assets, needs, etc.
-- Nature of data assets and data types,
-- where it lives in scene graph,
-- accessors: encrypted/signed, functionality and expected behavior responses,
-- authoring, creation, usage, possibly even data flow

c. Regular recurring meetings needed to organize this work.
- Weekly routine?
- Opportunity to use Friday windows for next two weeks to keep bootstrapping...

d. Consider how HL7 and medical informatics community might complement/contribute/advance this work?  Numerous overlaps and possibilities.
- Significant upcoming outreach opportunity in this regard:

	AMIA 2019 Informatics Summit Workshop: Web3D Quickstart, Standards-based 3D in Health and Medicine
	Monday 25 March San Francisco (full conference 25-29 March)
	http://www.web3d.org/event/amia-2019-informatics-summit-workshop-web3d-quickstart-standards-based-3d-health-and-medicine

==================================

3. *In memoriam: Mitch Williams*

Sad news. After battling illness, Mitch Williams passed away early this week.

	Mitchell Aaron Williams
	October 18, 1959 – March 11, 2019
	https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/mission-hills-ca/mitchell-williams-8203502

	Web3D: Mitch Williams
	http://www.web3d.org/about/board/mitch-williams

	3D Online
	http://3d-online.com

	WebGL Hotshot
	https://www.amazon.com/WebGL-Hotshot-Mitch-Williams-ebook/dp/B00KLAJ65Y

	Introduction to WebGL
	https://slideplayer.com/slide/14134461

	Mitch Williams - San Francisco Bay Area | Professional Profile | LinkedIn
	https://www.linkedin.com/in/mitch-williams-a765191

	Mitch Williams Github: GearVRf
	https://github.com/mwitchwilliams

	Samsung GearVRf
	https://github.com/Samsung/GearVRf

	Belated + elated! Don, Damon and Mitch having fun at
	W3C Immersive Web Face to Face Meeting hosted by
	Samsung USA on 30 January 2019 in Mountain View California
	https://twitter.com/Web3DConsortium/status/1106238631398633473

Mitch's passing is a major loss.  Words do not suffice.  We will work "to honor his gentle influence in our community."

==================================

4. *X3DOM release plans*

Dev version is reportedly ready.  This is needed as a clean foundation for X3Dv4.

	[x3d-public] X3DOM release plans?
	http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2019-March/010213.html

Feedback indicates that promotion of X3DOM development version as official X3DOM release will be forthcoming.

Thanks to everyone who has build and continue to contribute to X3DOM.

Working with both X3DOM and X_ITE is our guarantee that X3Dv4 goals for HTML5 DOM integration will be met.

==================================

5. *Github specification progress*

If anyone has trouble resynchronizing their git-clone source after major changes, please check out a clean clone.

HAnim 2.0 Final Draft International Specification (FDIS) ready, ISO review continues and nearly complete, updated .zip files (different logos) received.
Updates maintained at
       https://github.com/Web3DConsortium/H-Anim
       https://github.com/Web3DConsortium/H-Anim/tree/master/ISO-IEC%2019774/ISO-IEC%2019774-1/ISO-IEC%2019774-1%20V2.0
       https://github.com/Web3DConsortium/H-Anim/tree/master/ISO-IEC%2019774/ISO-IEC%2019774-2/ISO-IEC%2019774-2%20V2.0

https://github.com/Web3DConsortium/H-Anim/raw/master/ISO-IEC%2019774/ISO-IEC%2019774-1/ISO-IEC%2019774-1%20V2.0/ISO-IEC%2019774-1%20V2.0%20FDIS.ISOIEC.zip
https://github.com/Web3DConsortium/H-Anim/raw/master/ISO-IEC%2019774/ISO-IEC%2019774-1/ISO-IEC%2019774-1%20V2.0/ISO-IEC%2019774-1%20V2.0%20FDIS.Web3D.zip

https://github.com/Web3DConsortium/H-Anim/raw/master/ISO-IEC%2019774/ISO-IEC%2019774-2/ISO-IEC%2019774-2%20V2.0/ISO-IEC%2019774-2%20V2.0%20FDIS.ISOIEC.zip
https://github.com/Web3DConsortium/H-Anim/raw/master/ISO-IEC%2019774/ISO-IEC%2019774-2/ISO-IEC%2019774-2%20V2.0/ISO-IEC%2019774-2%20V2.0%20FDIS.Web3D.zip

Once ISO approval is gained, and when file/directory names are de-spacified, Dick and I will look at updating the build automation for creating a single crisp public zip with both skeleton/skin and motion-animation volumes for Web3D authors.

----

X3Dv4 Working Draft 1 is primary work in progress:
       https://github.com/Web3DConsortium/X3D
       https://github.com/Web3DConsortium/X3D/blob/master/README.md
       https://github.com/Web3DConsortium/X3D/tree/master/ISO-IEC19775/ISO-IEC19775-1/ISO-IEC19775-1v4.0/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-WD1/Part01

Progress:
- X3D headers and navigation images made more consistent.
- Steady normalization of HTML attributes, facilitating global search/replace updates.
- Have commenced updates to X3D.css stylesheet.

New:
- Placeholders in Shape component ready to receive PointProperties once Mantis 1252 has prose.
     http://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view.php?id=1252
- Preliminary draft Projective Texture Mapping (PTM) component in place.
     https://github.com/Web3DConsortium/X3D/blob/master/ISO-IEC19775/ISO-IEC19775-1/ISO-IEC19775-1v4.0/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-WD1/Part01/components/ProjectiveTextureMapping.html

Planned:
- ~weekly editor meeting needed for X3D specification editing (afternoon pacific time, TBA).
- Review initial clauses.
- Humanoid Animation (HAnim) component review.
- Projective Texture Mapping (PTM) review.
- Review of CSS styles for proposed/approved additions/deletions.
- renaming of some files for consistent capitalization.

==================================

6. X3D Development restructuring complete, as reported last week and previously

        [x3d-public] X3D meeting minutes 24 FEB 2019: X3D v4 Development page updates
        http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2019-March/010225.html

Regular task today: review that page for correctness.

        http://www.web3d.org/wiki/index.php/X3D_version_4.0_Development

Minor edit: restore prior section sequencing - alphabetical, easier to follow.

       1 Genesis and Strategic Overview
       2 Architectural Considerations
       3 Backwards and Forwards Compatibility
       4 Capabilities
       5 Legacy Issues
       6 Open Questions
       7 Related Work
       8 Timeline
       9 Schedule (old section, review and merge with Timeline)

TODO: merge sections 8 and 9; consider messaging announcements.  Nicholas, Anita, and Don will tackle that discussion.

Worth review and confirmation: our Capabilities categories.

    4 Capabilities
           4.1 Accepted Capabilities
           4.2 Approved Capabilities
           4.3 Candidate Capabilities
           4.4 Deferred Capabilities
           4.5 Deprecated Capabilities
           4.6 Excluded Capabilities
           4.7 Removed Capabilities

Any other changes to the X3Dv4 development plan this week?  None.

Ongoing: editorial smoothing, add mantis links, refresh weekly.

==================================

7. TODO

- adoption inventory: X3D Node Inventory Comparison
     http://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dNodeInventoryComparison.pdf
     http://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dNodeInventoryComparison.xlsx
- example scenes inventory for each change
- MetadataSet update in Mantis
- Mantis issue appropriate? likely...

	[x3d-public] Inlining, importing higher profiles by Andreas Plesch
	http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2019-March/010302.html

==================================

8.  *Upcoming meetings*

We plan to deliberately iterate this pattern in each meeting:
- Github specification and spec prose,
- X3Dv4 Development page,
- Encouraging implementation code,
- Evaluating example scenes, plus
- Steady focus on Mantis issues.

Regrets for meeting attendance during next two weeks: Don

All participation and all public community review is welcome.

We salute and thank our cherished, departed colleague Mitch Williams for his wisdom, friendship, teaching skills, and major contributions to 3D graphics on the Web.

Onward with purpose towards X3Dv4.