[x3d-public] got Three.js and X3D?

Nicholas Polys npolys at vt.edu
Mon Feb 20 20:20:16 PST 2023

It depends , doesn't it?

Interchange profile is straightforward and we all see certain geometry as
'the same' across formats...
so yes I agree glTF is appropriate for certain assets.
Especially now with X3D4 supporting glTF PBR constructs...
    but also the realtime essentials natively as in
          URL/URIs, lights, cameras, sensors, animation, LOD  constructs,
etc ...?

My awesome metaverse vehicle has doors, wheels, buttons, dashboards,
lights, switches, etc.
 that I expect to work the same with me across meta and real verses on the
Web.

I fully encourage hackers and vendors to add value for their users and use
cases.
Profiles and components are essential to this discussion; there are always
tradeoffs!
Shine On!

with best regards,
 _n_polys

On Mon, Feb 20, 2023 at 9:01 PM John Carlson <yottzumm at gmail.com> wrote:

> My tendency would be to go from X3D to glTF or COLLADA to glTF and then
> load glTF into three.js.  Also x3d to OBJ looks like a thing with aopt.
>
> I believe both OBJ and glTF are supported by X3d4.
>
> OBJ is native to three.js
>
> If you find a tessellation library in all of this, that would good to know.
>
> John
>
> On Mon, Feb 20, 2023 at 5:47 PM Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) <
> brutzman at nps.edu> wrote:
>
>> Three.js is an independently developed Javascript library.  Wondering
>> about relationship (if any) for X3D use.  Some X3D folks have used it in
>> the past but am not seeing any common ground at
>>

>>    - https://threejs.org/docs/#manual/en/introduction/Loading-3D-models
>>

>> Searching a little more, found some older posts:
>>

>>    - https://github.com/dividab/three-x3d-loader
>>

>>    -
>>    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/20810737/importing-x3d-files-into-three-js
>>

>> Apparent overlap: capability for loading glTF models.
>>

>> Just curious, thanks for all opinions.  If there is something worth
>> including on X3D Resources, will add it.
>>

>> all the best, Don
>>
>> --
>>
>> Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br
>> brutzman at nps.edu
>>
>> Watkins 270,  MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA
>> +1.831.656.2149
>>
>> X3D graphics, virtual worlds, Navy robotics https://
>> faculty.nps.edu/brutzman

Nicholas F. Polys, Ph.D.

Director of Visual Computing
Virginia Tech Research Computing

Affiliate Professor
Virginia Tech Department of Computer Science
https://people.cs.vt.edu/~npolys/  <https://people.cs.vt.edu/~npolys/>