[x3d-public] X3D Working Group agenda 25 OCT 2019: X3Dv4 issues review, logging, text alignment

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Fri Oct 25 02:55:22 PDT 2019

Web3D members and interested participants are welcome to join.

==================================

The X3D Graphics Working Group addresses all X3D specification issues and coordinates the technical development of future improvements.
	http://www.web3d.org/working-groups/x3d

Members and invited experts are welcome.  We are an open organization. Please let us know if you have an important topic to present or discuss.

Each week we report out both public and member-only information - membership has value.  To become a Web3D Consortium member:
	Join the Web3D Consortium
	http://www.web3d.org/join

Teleconference information appears below.

==================================

1. *Agenda check*.  What else, please?

Recent minutes:

[0] [x3d-public] X3D Working Group minutes 18 OCT 2019: X3Dv4 issues review (corrected date)
         http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2019-October/011400.html

[1] [x3d-public] X3D minutes 11 OCT 2019: Web3DUX, semantics progress, implementations status, mantis issues, texture/material, X3D-Edit
         http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2019-October/011347.html

[2] [x3d-public] X3D minutes 4 OCT 2019: X3D-glTF review, defer Annotations, Layout component, #X3Dv4 implementations/issues update
         http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2019-October/011315.html

==================================

2. *3D Body Tech Conference*

Hopefully Anita Havele can let us know more about her impressions and excellent work in Lugano Switzerland for Web3D this past week.

[3] Web3D at 3D Body Tech Conference
      https://www.web3d.org/event/web3d-3d-body-tech-conference

      https://twitter.com/Web3DConsortium/status/1185238518110412800

"Web3D Consortium to present @3DBODYTECH International Conference and Exhibition on 3D Human Body Scanning and Processing Technologies in Lugano Switzerland, 22-23 October 2019. Interoperable ISO standard #X3D permits cross-discipline exchange of 3D data using the Web, across platforms and market domains."

Tweets online at

	https://twitter.com/Web3DConsortium

==================================

3. *X3Dv4 critical-path issues: physically based rendering, material, textures, advanced lighting, glTF*

X3D Specification Editors meeting planned with Michalis Kamburelis next Tuesday 29 OCT, 0900-1000 Pacific.

[4] http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2019-October/011433.html

Regarding last week's discussion, please see his posting

[5] Make RGB and grayscale textures treatment consistent
	https://github.com/michaliskambi/x3d-tests/wiki/Make-RGB-and-grayscale-textures-treatment-consistent

in particular

	Exact equations change
	Table 17.2 — Unlit colour and alpha mapping
	Table 17.3 — Lit colour and alpha mapping
	ColorRGBA node

We will briefly discuss and enter a Mantis issue on this long-running topic, laying out the path for resolution in X3Dv4.

==================================

4. *Logging Capabilities*

Great discussion and great work by Andreas Plesch.  Detailed disucssion thread led to

[6]	[x3d-public] Data logging support in X3Dv4
	http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2019-October/011422.html

example implementation
https://raw.githack.com/andreasplesch/x3dom/dcde5c67281c1a3dae6b20b1944065d24d369711/test/functional/widgetPlaneSensor.html

http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2019-October/011448.html
> Thanks for the great example - impressive!
>
> Getting explicit to match your description, it looks like the key statement is
>
>      <X3D id="x3d" showLog="true" logLevel='5' width="800px" height="600px">
>
> Adding it to X3D root would seem to work for X3D applications in a non-HTML context as well.  Also makes it easy for any author, and possible for any model (not requiring Script node).  Thus meets goal of easy repeatability too.
>
> Is this approach (attributes on X3D root) acceptable with everyone, including FreeWrl view3dscene and other standalone application environments?
>
> If so, wondering if we are ready to tackle other attributes on X3D element (such as id width height url)?
>
> Once we agree on basic approach, we should also discuss whether scoping of logging is possible.  Can it be turned off for parts of scene graph, does it affect internals within Inline and ProtoInstance, etc.
>
> Good topic for issue review on X3D Working Group call Friday morning.  Participating in the discussion and email feedback are both welcome.

Attributes on root node is a key issue for how X3Dv4 relates to HTML5.2 and in standalone fasion.

Seems like we are nearly ready for detailed draft specification prose in Mantis for logging.

==================================

5. *Text Size and vertical alignment*

Found an old issue report.  There are certainly more out there that we need to get into Mantis for X3Dv4.

[7]	[x3d-public] text size clarification
	https://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2019-August/011221.html
	https://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2019-October/011446.html

led to Mantis 1265, any comment?
	https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view.php?id=1265

Wondering why image comparison might differ for X3DOM?

	http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/attachments/20191024/2897e5fd/attachment-0001.png

==================================

6. *Audio and Sound*

Best-case scenario is emerging!  Brief discussion and lookahead.

[8]	[x3d-public] X3Dv4 Audio and Sound improvements: progress report
	https://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2019-October/011449.html

==================================

7. *Summary of progress by other working groups*

a. CAD Design Printing Scanning

[9] [cad] Minutes of Oct 24 DPS Working Group Call
     https://web3d.org/mailman/private/cad_web3d.org/2019-October/001170.html

More example models for PointProperties are forthcoming.

-----

b. X3D Semantic Web: paper accepted, tuning ontology and model conversions, performing queries

[10] [x3d-public] X3D Semantic Web minutes 21 OCT 2019: outreach, parent/child relationships, X3D-Tidy, comprehensive unit testing
      https://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2019-October/011426.html

[11] X3D Ontology for Semantic Web
      https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/semantics/semantics.html

-----

c. Web3D User Experience (Web3DUX) draft charter

[12] [x3d-public] Web3DUX "wannabe" working group minutes 23 OCT 2019: mission statement
      https://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2019-October/011431.html

Proposed mission statement: "The Web3D User Experience (Web3DUX) Working Group's mission is to collaboratively establish best practices and standardized capabilities that support rich user experience (UX), intuitive navigation, and effective interaction techniques for a variety of 3D Web technologies."

Participation welcome, next call is Wednesday 30 OCT, 0915-1000.

==================================

8. *X3Dv4 Issues Review*

Each week we will continue to steadily go though the Mantis issues tracker to assign tags to issues that need to be tracked as part of X3Dv4 efforts.

[13] Mantis Issue Tracker (requires 2 sets of member login)
       https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view_all_bug_page.php

[14] X3D Version 4 Overview
       https://www.web3d.org/x3dv4

[15] X3Dv4 Highlights
       http://www.web3d.org/x3dv4-highlights

[16] X3Dv4 Implementations Status
       http://www.web3d.org/x3dv4-implementations

==================================

9. *Teleconference Information*

We have switched to Zoom channel, to good effect.  It allows use of internet audio, screen sharing and chat with links.

We meet regularly on Fridays 0800-0930 pacific.  To join the teleconference:
	Web3D Teleconference
	http://www.web3d.org/member/teleconference-information

* Friday          08-1000 pacific, Join URL https://zoom.us/j/148206572 for X3D Working Group

One tap mobile
* US (New York) +19292056099,,148206572 #
* US (San Jose) +16699006833,,148206572 #

Dial by your location, using (nine-digit number from Join URL above)

* US (New York) +1 929 205 6099
* US (San Jose) +1 669 900 6833

TODO: Upcoming meeting schedule discussion here...

TODO: we will reviewed public minutes to confirm that no member-only information is present.

Lots of effort continues.  /Only 6 weeks left/ until we close the X3Dv4 contributions window on 16 DEC 2019.

[99] Sounds of doors slamming
      http://www.findsounds.com/ISAPI/search.dll?keywords=door+slam

... what an enjoyable set of sounds.  8)

Please consider how you are helping... there are things TODO for everyone.