[x3d-public] X3D minutes: X3D Graphics Specification Relationships, request review of Integrating X3D and glTF

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 17:38:12 PDT 2022

How does a web3d member get plugged into multiuser Metaverse standards?
See next section down for my experience.

Welcome to complexity where imperative models can be made declarative and
declarative models can be made imperative.   Future or present SAI?

Here is my understanding.   X3D scenegraph encodings and glTF assets are
both declarative (this used to be called structured mode).   Both have ways
of working with imperative code (this used to be called immediate mode).
SAI application code can be either declarative or imperative or both.   I’m
thinking that I introduced building a imperative  way of using SAI with
X3DJSAIL and Don introduced building a declarative way of using SAI with
X3DJSAIL.

We worked on parallel paths, but I started using declarative programming
after Don proved it out.  Imperative programming is still fully possible,
 AFAIK.

So no one needs to put up their noses and say, “We’re only declarative” or
“We’re only imperative”. Those boats have shipped long ago.

Thanks for listening.    Everyone can have their cake and eat it too.

Of course, each SAI implementation may choose not to implement load/export,
but Don’s and Myeong’s focus on providing XSLT for nearly anything proves
its worth.   I have not been able to produce much XSLT code because I
prefer a more imperative approach.

My work mainly involves JSON loading into DOM documents, which provides a
path back to XML.

Unfinished work is JSON to Python.  I’m hoping we can accomplish a path
from XML or JSON into Python.   Why Python?   Why not?

I do think the target to hit is WASM  (web assembly) for 3D graphics.   I
think the best use of the Metaverse might be virtual travel.

=============================

I worked long hours last week improving my Java lircom project,  which
includes a multiuser 3D authoring tool (which might be useful for building
colorful borg ships), multiuser solitaire and multiuser chat system.   The
goal here is to provide a multiuser messaging protocol below the
application protocols.   Something like JMS would probably be adequate if
JMS systems worked across the internet.

I also have a JavaScript multiuser system that supports a world tag game,
simple card system and chat.   It’s based on socket.io

I am open to someone taking over these projects.   I do need to provide
more documentation.

I know Christoph Valentin is looking for web developers for his multiuser
systems.   Perhaps we should look at that since I think the Metaverse is
supposed to be multiuser?

Indeed, he has lots of comparisons between multiuser systems components
that might be used in the Metaverse.

I am not sure if multiuser is a strength of Web3d (joined any DIS worlds
lately?), but many people are interested multiuser systems.   What
standards body can we pair with who has a multiuser standard at the ISO
level?   Perhaps we should consider just using Jabber/XMPP and things like
libjingle?

Can we or do we want to resurrect Google Wave?

John